Glen Marnoch Highland Single Malt Bourbon Cask Finish
- ABV: 40%
- Age: 12 Years Old
- Bottling: Glen Marnoch, Aldi
- Category: Highland single malt scotch whisky
- Cost: £20
- Origin: undisclosed distillery
- Vintage: undeclared
What they say
This limited reserve triple pack of Highland Single Malt Scotch Whisky is a perfect gift for Whisky lovers. The Rum Cask Finish offers rich, malty aromas with a vanilla oak taste and subtle notes of caramelised fruits, whilst the crisp and clean Bourbon Cask Finish is beautifully mellow on the palate combining subtle spices and a fruity character. Rich and spicy with layers of sweet oak, a drop of water also helps release the flavours of Sherry Cask Finish.
What I say
Part of the Glen Marnoch gift pack Aldi released allowing a sample side-by-side of their Bourbon, Sherry or Rum cask finished Highland single malt range. I think this retailed around £7 and gave the perfect opportunity to have a wee sample before deciding on a full bottle of any of these at ~ £18-£20 for 70cl. For these releases the 12 year old age statement may have been dropped from the bottlings. Claimed as matured in a ‘whisky’ cask first then bourbon cask finished. This most likely means matured in a a refill bourbon cask and then finished in a fresh/1st fill bourbon cask?
My tasting notes:
- Appearance: Full gold (10/20), large tears and thick legs.
- Nose: Sweet honey and coppery metallic, golden syrup, quite cloying, maple syrup, sharpness to metallic quality like brass pennies or iron/blood, fruity, apple, pear, orange, saopy sandalwood and malty cereal barley, toffee and butterscotch.
- Taste: Thin, sharp and citric and a touch spicy, malty and syrupy, vanilla, butterscotch, toffee, caramel, soapiness – sandalwood, cinnamon and pepper spice, oily in texture and slightly waxy, apple, pear and peach. Hints of chocolate or white chocolate later on the nose and palate.
- Finish: Short, spiced and drying, almost tannic wood, pepper and nutmeg, vanilla, tarragon and aniseed.
Many positives, lots of chocolate and waxy but with an odd soapy and spicy nature on the palate that just didn’t fit right for me.
Don’t take my word for it:
Bloggers submit link to your review