Springbank Distillery Visitors 2015
- Category: Campbeltown single malt whisky
- Origin: Springbank Distillery
- Bottling: J & A Mitchell & Company private bottling 5cl miniature for distillery visitors
- ABV: unknown Cask Strength
- Cost: Free with tour
What they say
On the Springbank Tour, you’ll have the opportunity to journey through our historic distillery, which has been on the same site since 1828.
As the only distillery in Scotland to complete 100% of the process on site, you’ll have the chance to see each and every step of the whisky making process before enjoying a cask strength dram of Springbank and taking away a miniature to enjoy at home.
Tours run Monday to Saturday at 10am and 1:30pm.
COST: £7 per person
What I say
Received following our tour of the Springbank & Glengyle distilleries during our visit to Campbeltown. I’m sure I read or heard a rumour that these miniatures are filled from a hand-selected cask which has matured Springbank for at least 10 years and is a 1st fill bourbon cask – though these may just be speculations?
My tasting notes:
- Appearance: Light amber/dark champagne gold (8/20) fine tears leave super-fine legs
- Nose: Rich & sweet honey, golden syrup, vanilla, crème brulee, sugared almonds, marzipan, slightly oily & dirty & spritzy/citric?, creamy vanilla milkshake, gentle fruits, peaches and a touch of sweet Sicilian lemonade with fresh lemons
- Taste: Smooth, toffee, vanilla fudge, butterscotch, tannic and drying leather, caramel, chewy, salty, sherbet, honey, crème brulee, sour lemon and grapefruit becomes savoury and slightly meaty
- Finish: Medium-long, fizzy lemonade, spiced pepper, shoe leather and rum fudge
Just lovely, a touch tannic and spicy in the finish but carries it well. I may just have to visit again soon!
Don’t take my word for it:
Bloggers submit a link to your review