Review: Bushmills 12 Years Old Distillery Reserve
- Category: Single malt Irish whiskey
- Origin: Bushmills Distillery
- Bottling: Official
- ABV: 40%
- Cost: £39 Distillery Exclusive
What they say
Exclusive to the old bushmills distillery is the Bushmills malt ‘distillery reserve’ 12 Year-old. It’s matured mainly in old spanish oloroso sherry casks which give the whiskey a deep amber colour and wonderful dried fruit aromas. Like all Bushmills whiskeys, it is gentle and approachable, with added weight, but unlike the others, it is only available to buy from the distillery shop, where you can also get a personalised label for your bottle. Great as a gift for a friend or to treat yourself.
What I say
Dram #4 during the #BushmillsWhiskey Tweet tasting hosted by Steve @TheWhiskyWire. This one was a real treat as normally it is only available to those who have ventured to the Bushmills Distillery in person. Making it well worth a visit!
My tasting notes:
- Appearance: A rich orange amber gold (11/20), slow loose tears leave well-defined medium thickness legs
- Nose: Milk Chocolate bar, hazelnut/nutella, malty marmite, dates, figs raisins, marzipan, spices; star anise & sage
- Taste: Fruity Ribena, honey, nutty walnut, hazelnut, cashew, cocoa, toffee, cinnamon dusted cappuccino
- Finish: Medium-long, nutty and cocoa with a faint dried fruit element persisting
My favourite of the whole tasting, and not just due to its exclusivity. This one really appealed to my inner chocoholic and love of sherry maturation done well! Definitely one to savour.
Bloggers submit a link to your review